Thursday, September 25, 2008

This Just In...

Operation Baking GALS update!!

Our soldier and his new friends have received, eaten and now de-toxed from an overload of sweets sent to them earlier this month. Sadly, however, no pictures are allowed on the compound where these brave soldiers reside so we aren't indulged with a visual of everyone chowing down; however, Colin got creative and I recently received this:

And from Colin...

"Kara had requested pictures of me and the group enjoying the packages. Unfortunately no pictures are allowed where I live, so instead I had people sign th[is] card so that it could be scanned in so that all of you could see the thanks from the people you helped. Its a small bit of gratitude for all of you taking time out of your busy days to bring a little bit of home out here to Afghanistan. All in all I received 29 packages from 34 people. When Kara told me about this group, I didn't realize the magnitude of what was about to take place. Some how we managed to consume every last bit of food sent our way! I was like a cookie Santa Claus around the camp. Even more, most people around here didn't believe I had that many lady friends!

What you did for us is unbelievable. The worst part of being out here for the majority of people, is the day in and day out monotony and being away from friends and family. Hearing from home, no matter how small the message, always helps break up that boredom and frustration and makes the day a little easier to swallow. So [our] card is only a small part of the thanks and gratitude I heard and received from everyone around me.

To Operation Baking Gals, big Thank You from Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan!"

Right back at you, Colin and all who received the fruits of our labor (though I can barely call it "labor")... I think I can speak for all of us when I say that the pleasure was all ours. We'd do it again in a heart-beat (in fact we are!).

2 comments:

  1. I'm here because I'm just NOW getting around to posting about my round 2 experience (as I gear up to ship for round 3!). Glad to hear Colin and his guys enjoyed the goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing this! Seeing those handwritten notes really shows that there are men & women over there who need serious cookie love.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you!

I do my best to post responses back on your own blog but if your question is applicable to everyone, I'll leave you a response here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails