Saturday, April 28, 2007

A Better Way To Guac

One of the more frustrating aspects of making economic spending a part of your daily life is learning how little it costs to make something that you otherwise enjoy when out at a fun restaurant... to be honest, it kind of ruins the experience of eating out.

But, in this case, we've managed to make the most our predicament. Guacamole is one of these things, and it also happens to be one of my all-time favorites. It's very easy to make and requires only a few ingredients... so the only mystery that remains, really, is why it one of the pricier items on every Mexican restaurant's menu.


My "Guac"
(for 2)

2 ripe avocados
3 tbsp small diced onion
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
splash of lime juice

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and mash with a fork, until the consistency desired is reached.

We always eat our guac with Trader Joe's Spicy Flaxseed chips!

*Another cost-saving idea... start a little herb garden! For about the price of one bunch of herbs from the grocery store, you can buy your own small plant that will continue to give you fresh herbs for the whole season! I'm growing basil, rosemary, curly parsley, chives, and cilantro; and so far, these all work great in small containers sitting in my window!!

Two great articles/events that I recently came across:

Real Simple had a great article highlighting the fact that planning ahead really helps in your efforts to save.

For the month of April, Sur la Table, one of my favorite cooking stores, offered free knife sharpening for any two knives that you bring in! They seem to run this special about twice a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you!

I do my best to post responses back on your own blog but if your question is applicable to everyone, I'll leave you a response here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails