Thursday, April 23, 2009

Moving On

If you're here looking for those important things... come back later (and I mean that), pleeease! Great things like pictures of my 10-minutes of fame on a champion horse, me rambling about the upcoming NFL draft (I'm serious - see if you can guess why I actually care this year), or maybe even something worthwhile to do or think about, abound!

For the rest of you... here are the results of a foray into semi-unknown waters. Huh? Let's try that again... here is one of those tasties that I had mentioned.

"Pucker Up" Lemon Sorbet

zest of about 1 1/2 lemons (2 lemons makes it very pucker-y!)
2 c water
1 c sugar
1 c fresh lemon juice
1 c lemon-lime seltzer water
2 TBSP vodka

In a saucepan, stir together lemon zest, water and sugar. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium for about 5 minutes. Allow to cool.

Stir together the lemon syrup, lemon juice, seltzer water, and vodka (it's just for texture - thanks for the tip Andrea!). Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions (it took me over 15 minutes to get to my desired consistency).

Immediately put in airtight containers and store in your freezer. The sorbet will continue to firm up.

We recently had some delicious grapefruit sorbet that motivated Chris to uh... motivate me to make this lemon sorbet. And with good reason. I believe this may vy for the top spot in our vigorous homemade ice cream battle... watch out peppermint!

Wait, though... why the tear? Not for joy!? Perhaps the tart lemony flavor got to me?

It saddens me to report that we laid a good friend to rest in the course of making this delicious sorbet (a good way to go, if you ask me). *RIP, ice cream maker! I had to do it - the blue antifreeze dripping out of your side just didn't taste right mixed in with any of our favorite flavors! (no one actually ate any - and after a brief chat with KitchenAid, they maintain that even if we had, we would have lived to tell about it)

With that behind us... I am ready to move on to greener pastures. But I won't go without another ice cream maker - so which one do you use??

2 comments:

  1. I don't have one, but my last Crate and Barrel catalog showed a Cuisinart for 49.95 that I may buy. It's on the list!

    Sound like a decent price?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! i put my bowl in the freezer and want to try this recipe soon! thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you!

I do my best to post responses back on your own blog but if your question is applicable to everyone, I'll leave you a response here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails