Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Pretty Good List

The other day, I came across this handy checklist listing some simple, but thoughtful, tips to prepare for houseguests. If I was organized or strategic enough, I would start enacting some of her suggestions now, before guests appear on our doorstep, but knowing me (and probably you), life always seems to get in the way.

So even though I wasn't pushed into action, the list did prompt me to reflect on how I actually go about preparing for friends and family whom (who?) we are so lucky to host. Martha's list had some new ideas that I loved and also held some oldies but goodies that were useful reminders, but if you can believe it, she forgot something!

Being completely honest, the first thing (maybe second to preparing a 'food calendar' of sorts) that I rush to do after hearing the news of an impending visit is bake! Duh, right? And seeing as how you already know what you'll have for breakfast and where you'll stay, dessert is next in the natural progression (of baking - you know, the ole' natural progression of baking).

Whether the baking happens immediately before you (er, or the guests) arrive or well in advance (making sure to carefully wrap the goods before sending them off to our extra freezer) all depends on the day, week... minute. But no matter when it happens, there's a pretty good chance that this Chocolate-Cinnamon Bundt Cake (with a scoop of vanilla ice cream) will greet you at the front door.

It's the perfect dessert (although when you visit, I promise it won't be the only one) to have awaiting your guests - assuming they like chocolate. Because you'll soon find out that there's quite a bit of it baked underneath that glaze.

And uh, not speaking from personal experience or anything but you might just find yourself wanting to sneak a slice of this for breakfast the next morning too. But not in this house, we don't allow that - you must follow my rigid food calendar (kidding... kind of).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you!

I do my best to post responses back on your own blog but if your question is applicable to everyone, I'll leave you a response here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails