Thursday, December 17, 2009

Some Christmas Spirit

It's more than about time... I'll be the first to say that my behavior around here recently is downright unacceptable. We've had our Christmas tree up for over two weeks, I've been listening to Christmas carols for well over four (yes, I'm an early adopter - and proud of it!), and this is my first mention of a Christmas cookie?! Truly disappointing, really.

Try as I might (to find someone or thing to unjustly blame), it should be noted that I must take full responsibility for this catastrophe. I've even had the recipe sitting on our counter for weeks now (thanks to my dear friend had thoughtfully forwarded it to me in plenty of time for the season), crying for me to rally the troops... er, ingredients (that also all awaited my call from our trusty cupboards). But as happens for many of us (guilty as charged), the month of December, Christmas cookie baking (and subsequent posting, especially when there are more interesting things to write about like oh, a fully legal trip to the White House), and (ugh, don't even get me started) Christmas card writing, sneaked up on me... and might I add, there was a moment when it risked clear passing me by.

Lucky for us (and not so lucky for our waistbands), there were cookie exchanges to attend (and Christmas cookie events to enter)... so when I could find no more excuses (good or bad, at that), these Hot Chocolate Cookies were finally called upon.

Since then, any that remained have been quickly gobbled up, accompanied by a few comments wishing I hadn't made such a fun and delicious recipe only to be given away to others (some people around here don't quite have the Christmas spirit thing down just yet).

So with the holidays (or more like... the holiday rush) all but imminent at this point (thank you, Captain Obvious), I figured you, like me and the rest of us, might not have many more quiet moments to sit by the fireside with a toasty cup of hot cocoa... and if that's the case, these should tide you over quite nicely.

Hot Chocolate Cookies
yield: 4 dozen

Cookie ingredients
3/4 c butter, softened
1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1/4 c milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 c flour
1 c instant milk chocolate hot cocoa mix
1 tsp baking soda
24 large marshmallows, cut in half crosswise

Glaze ingredients
1 3/4 c powdered sugar
6 TBSP butter
1/4 c milk
2 TBSP unsweetened cocoa

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine 3/4 c butter and sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Add eggs, 1/4 c milk, and vanilla. Continue beating until well-mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour, cocoa mix and baking soda. Beat until well-mixed.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 9 minutes or until just set. Remove from oven; top each cookie with marshmallow half, cut-side down. Continue baking for 1 to 2 minutes until marshmallow just begins to puff. Immediately remove cookies to cooling racks. Cool completely.

Meanwhile, place powdered sugar into medium bowl; set aside. Combine all remaining glaze ingredients in 1 qt saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes. Pour mixture over powdered sugar in bowl. Beat until creamy and fully combined.

Immediately spoon glaze over cooled cookies decoratively. Store between sheets of waxed paper in a loosely covered container.

*And of course it wouldn't be the Christmas season without a submission to Susan's Eat Christmas Cookies event. YUM!

It's official! You can no longer say that I've never done anything for you. As a treat for having made it all the way through this overly wordy post, I'm going to let you in on a little secret: come Monday, you're going to want to make your way right back here... because for the first time ever, it might just be worth your while.

3 comments:

  1. These cookies were worth the wait, Kara. They sound sensational! And hats off to you for writing Christmas cards. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen cookies with cocoa mix in them! I love that idea. Def. bookmarking this since my husband is a cocoa fiend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you!

I do my best to post responses back on your own blog but if your question is applicable to everyone, I'll leave you a response here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails