Friday, August 01, 2008

Yes, Please

My first adventure into the world of fresh berry sauce... and we're hooked! I am so thankful I stumbled upon these blueberries the other day staring back at me at my friendly grocery store - not only were they perfectly beautiful and fresh, but on sale?! I took one look and decided they were coming home with me.

And it couldn't have been better timing seeing as how the period I had to enter Susan's Sugar High Friday #45 was nearing the end.

When I got the aforementioned blueberries home, it was decision-time... what to make. One quick glance into the freezer was all I needed - I still had some homemade vanilla ice cream left so what would be better than a delicious and quick blueberry sauce! This recipe was SO easy, came together in a second, and gave us excellent results!

No big surprise, thanks again to Susan at Food Blogga, I've been inspired or found a new "go-to" recipe!

Blueberry Sauce

1 cup fresh blueberries
2 TBSP water
1/2 c lemon juice
1/4 c and 2 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP cold water
1 TBSP cornstarch
1/4 tsp almond extract

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the blueberries, 2 TBSP water, lemon juice, and sugar. Stir gently, and bring to a boil.

In a cup or small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and 2 TBSP cold water. Gently stir the cornstarch mixture into the blueberries so as not to mash the berries. Simmer gently until thickened to your liking, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the almond extract.

Adapted from this recipe at AllRecipes.com

And, since this is my latest foray into cooking with fresh berries, this is my entry for Sugar High Friday Berries! Check back at her site after August 3rd for what is sure to be a delicious round-up!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yeah, the only thing better than plump, juicy, fresh blueberries are plump, juicy, fresh blueberries on sale. :) I love the simplicity of this dessert as it really makes the blueberries shine. Thanks for the delicious SHF entry and for the kinds words.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you!

I do my best to post responses back on your own blog but if your question is applicable to everyone, I'll leave you a response here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails