Friday, December 19, 2008

A Merry Christmas... at home

*Yes, Christmas is somewhat on the brain these days... visit again in January if you're not "into" it.

Despite the fact that the status of my Christmas card list really hasn't changed since Thanksgiving, I've been having a blast this Christmas... baking, decorating, buying and wrapping presents to put underneath our tree... THIS is Christmas to me. I think I'm starting to like this not-traveling thing!

A couple of my newest ventures have included pulling out some of the beautiful things I'd been given in years past that I can finally use... not the least of which are these gorgeous "frosted fruit" napkin rings and monogrammed napkins. My only regret *sorry, Mom! is that I only have 4 of these napkin rings so for our family Christmas Eve brunch, I'll use some silver napkin rings instead.

As you may have noticed, I'm not very good about experimenting with all-new recipes - I usually get my ideas either from a home-made cookbook of a family friend's favorites or my mom. So when I was trying to think of some fruit-filled sweets for our brunch, I branched out, recalling a quick recipe for Raspberry Crumbles from The Pampered Chef, of all places. Chris being a bigger fan of apricot (and also, since I already had the preserves in the fridge), I adapted the delicious recipe that I remember these being into Apricot Crumble Bars - and you'll see, I added a special twist into the fruit filling.
Apricot Crumble Bars
makes approx 32 bars

3/4 c butter, softened
1 c firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 c oats, uncooked (quick-cooking or old-fashioned)
12 oz. apricot preserves
1 1/2 TBSP orange liqueur

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Beat butter at medium speed until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, beating well. Press half of crumb mixture into a greased 13x9 pan.

Mix apricot preserves with orange liquor and spread preserve mixture over the crumb crust. Sprinkle remaining half of crumb mixture over preserves. Bake for 20 minutes.

*And still to go... a last cookie or two and other preparations for houseguests... chocolate-covered pretzels, Susan's chili, and a delicious sour cream coffee cake!

1 comment:

  1. not going to lie...a little bummed that i won't get to see Jefferson Ave all decked out for the holidays...but I can survive with pics! Can't wait to see you tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you!

I do my best to post responses back on your own blog but if your question is applicable to everyone, I'll leave you a response here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails