Tuesday, August 28, 2007

So MUCH Food... So LITTLE Time

Only the fact that I am back and able to tell you all about what a beautiful and special place Penn Yan, New York, is can dampen my memory of a really wonderful long weekend. Though, truth be told, even the memory of the relatively few days we had with family and friends is enough to keep me happy.


How can you go wrong when spending time in a secluded lake front spot (thanks Sprint - no cell phone service!) with great company, multiple speedboat rides, getting your exercise on a paddle boat exploring new parts of a gorgeous lake (and dreaming about how you'd "do" your lakehouse), winery tours (when the sun hid behind the clouds), and tons (and tons) of food!!

For Chris' family (and I've learned very quickly these past few visits), PY is one of those places they've been going to for so long that the list of "must-dos" almost requires at least a week's stay. And, good or bad, most of these traditions are centered around food, both making and of course, eating it. In our 3 1/2 days, we managed 3 trips to our favorite ice cream shop, Seneca Farms, a delicious fresh seafood dinner at Sarrasin's, Sunday brunch at Miller's Essenhaus, and blueberry-buckwheat pancakes at Angel's... not to mention the wine-tasting circuit (this time, Dr. Frank's and Hunt Country) and our own GREAT chefs (thanks, Chris, Dave, Sean, and Ben!) at home firing up the grill.

Grilling and eating together is absolutely one of my favorite parts about the Penn Yan experience. Ben, who I personally am always nervous cooking for (because he's such a master, himself!), treated us to an absolutely fantastic flank steak meal Saturday night; and, rumor had it that he'd made some pretty darn good ribs earlier in the week too (silly work always gets in the way of good food!).

Delicious Grilled Flank Steak

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup soy sauce (can use low-sodium)
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, minced
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp black pepper
1 1/2-2 lbs flank steak

Combine all ingredients except the flank steak. Marinate the meat in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours, with the last 30 minutes at room temperature. Grill. Let meat rest for up to 15 minutes before cutting. Cut thin strips of meat against the grain on a severe angle.

And of course, none of the food needed embellishment, but it always seems to work out that we have someone headed to one of the local vineyards who can keep a ready supply of our favorite whites and reds (and some blush... Hunt Country's Sweet Gus!). Chris and I made our own run to the vineyards Sunday afternoon and happened upon Dr. Frank's 45th Anniversary celebration. We didn't stay to celebrate but the party-atmosphere definitely enhanced our wine-tasting experience (along with our tasting-guide).

If all of that wasn't reason enough to get you packing for the Finger Lakes, then please go for the buckwheat pancakes! It only took one trip for me to learn about these and in that same time, find that I can make them at home, too (thanks to Indian Pines, I have my pancakes at home year-round!).

Yet, there is still reason to return... the famous grape pies that I have heard so much about continue to elude me. One of these years, though... but for now, I'm happy with buckwheat and my memories!

1 comment:

  1. That steak DOES look amazing! You're a busy gal, aren't you? I'm glad you've had such a great summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you!

I do my best to post responses back on your own blog but if your question is applicable to everyone, I'll leave you a response here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails