Monday, June 16, 2008

This One's For the Boys...

Or at least the Dads...

*Happy Belated Father's Day, Dad and Jacob - yes, he's my brother but still a role-model dad!*


Though, truth be told, you might feel the need to celebrate "with them" as I did...

I should have known better when I decided to throw this together... I really have a huge sweet tooth and can hardly resist a solitary chocolate chip sitting there, let alone a deliciously dense and fudgy-but-still-cakelike brownie covered in chocolate ganache, with a sprinkling of chocolate chips and some good melted white chocolate. What was I thinking!

My inspiration for this was actually found in a place I honestly don't find myself in much - I'd seen a brownie similar to this in the glass-enclosed cell of a Starbucks' pastry container, and it was one of those moments when I said "I can make that!" Now of course, mine looks nothing like the glorious brownie I saw over the lid of my Starbucks cup that day but I imagine that it tastes something pretty close (that's just to say that since I made these, we haven't stopped eating them).

Brownies
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1/2 c butter
2 c sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 c chopped nuts (I used pecans)

Combine the chocolate, and butter in microwave dish. Microwave at half power until melted. Stir at 2 minute intervals. Combine sugar and eggs in bowl and mix well. Stir in chocolate mixture, flour, and salt. Add nuts and mix well. Spoon into 9x13 inch baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool slightly. Let stand until cool. Spread with the Chocolate Glaze.

Chocolate Glaze
1 1/2 c chocolate chips
1/2 c whipping cream

Microwave 1 cup of the chocolate chips on medium in Pyrex cup for 2 minutes or until melted. Add the whipping cream and whisk till smooth. Spread evenly over the top of the brownies and immediately sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips. Let sit in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes until the chocolate has slightly set. In the meantime, make the white chocolate.

White Chocolate Topping
4 TBSP chopped white chocolate

Microwave white chocolate in 30 second increments until melted. Dip a fork into the white chocolate and hold it above the brownies flicking your wrist in a back-and-forth motion making sure to get a little bit of the chocolate throughout the top of the brownie.

Let the brownies sit in the refrigerator for at least another 30 minutes before cutting and serving - they will cut more cleanly if the chocolate has set.

Enjoy this with your dad... or anyone else! They'll be glad you weren't exclusive!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you!

I do my best to post responses back on your own blog but if your question is applicable to everyone, I'll leave you a response here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails