Sunday, May 10, 2009

To Market, To Market

Saturday at "the Wharf" or "the Maine Avenue Fish Market"... call it what you will... I learned all sorts of things about fresh fish.

Including the fact that I knew very little to start with! Luckily, the two very experienced fish marketers we brought along taught us everything we needed to know:

  • Two acceptable ways to prepare a platter of mussels: hot sauce, vinegar and a squeeze of lemon juice OR hot sauce, Old Bay, pepper and a squeeze of lemon

  • Cloudy fish eyes (ewh!) and dark red or dried out gills = not fresh

  • Croakers are local and probably the freshest fish you can get 'round these parts... so why don't they sell them in our local grocery stores? (even our experts couldn't answer that)

Fish Market, you were worth the (8-year) wait, but now that we've met, I expect to be a frequent visitor. Next time hopefully to indulge in some Chesapeake Bay blue crabs.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you!

I do my best to post responses back on your own blog but if your question is applicable to everyone, I'll leave you a response here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails