Thursday, September 21, 2006

Something's Kookin!

BBQ Chicken Pizza!!
(Kara's 9.20.06 version)

This pizza has fast become a favorite, plus, it is my most clear example that recipes are made to be tampered with. After trying a couple versions of crusts, different ways of cooking the chicken and other toppings, varying the spices and cheeses, this is what I've come up with (and even at this point, it will surely continue to evolve)...

Crust. Trader Joe's. They have fresh dough in a variety of flavors just waiting future pizza-makers. I know this doesn't count as homemade but at $0.79 a pop, I'll take it. I highly recommend the whole wheat, but I've heard the herbed/garlic crust is tasty as well. Disregarding their instructions... I usually bake the crust with a drizzle of olive oil on a pizza stone for 6-8 minutes before topping her.

Chicken. It's taken me an embarrassingly long time to get where I am with the chicken, but so far, this is my favorite. Either skinless-boneless (approx 2.5) or bone-in chicken (probably 3) work. Thinly slice some green peppers and red (or white) onions and throw those in a big pot with the chicken breasts and a bit of olive oil or butter and let those brown up over medium to medium-high heat for a few (5 or so) minutes. Then add 1/2 a can of diced or whole peeled tomatoes with juices and some chicken broth (about a cup), any spices that you enjoy (try salt and pepper, cumin, and maybe some poultry seasoning), turn the heat down to low, and cover the pot - in about 30 minutes, check on the chicken and turn the breasts. After an hour (total) has elapsed, the chicken should shred easily... read: when you grab the chicken with tongs, it should just fall apart. Shred the chicken completely. If there's a little bit of broth left, that's great - add about 1/4 cup of your choice of honey barbeque sauce to the chicken making sure it's evenly coated.

Assembly. Coat the crust with about 3/4 cup of the same barbeque sauce and spread the shredded chicken over top of it. The veggies (peppers, onions, and tomatoes) should be well cooked and mixed throughout the chicken. Top the chicken-veggie mixture with your choice of cheese (mozzarella works well) and at the same temperature, bake for another 10 minutes max.

The pizza. Now she's ready. Slice it up and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you!

I do my best to post responses back on your own blog but if your question is applicable to everyone, I'll leave you a response here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails