Wednesday, July 18, 2007

What's Your's?

What's your "go-to" meal? The one you fix when all else fails - either you're pressed for time but still want a healthy meal or you just can't think of anything else to make?

Abby asked that very question the other day and at the time, the only thing I could think of was my good ole' egg-white omelet (filled with whatever I have around... some of my favorites are caramelized onions, fresh chives, canned or fresh tomatoes, turkey bacon, turkey deli meat, etc.), but as I was quickly fixing a very impromptu dinner tonight, I realized just what my real "go-to" is... any variation on a grilled chicken salad. I always have skinless, boneless chicken breasts frozen (stock up when they are on sale) and am never without at least a head of two of Romaine lettuce (from my Costco 6-pack!); once you have those two ingredients, the rest depends on your creativity and what you have in your pantry and/or fridge.

Tonight I was inspired by some left-over whole wheat bread. I cut the bread into large cubes, brushed them lightly with olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt, and set them on my grill pan with the chicken. We rarely have bread around but if I have the opportunity to do this again, I will - it was great and I loved the texture... next time, I'll probably add in some minced fresh herbs, or if I'm planning far enough in advance, I might infuse the olive oil with some rosemary or garlic for extra flavor.

As for the chicken, I usually rotate between a few different marinades but tonight I simply used some chopped, fresh thyme and Italian salad dressing (my favorite... Ken's Fat-Free Italian). To finish the salad off, I threw in some (delicious and healthy) avocado, thinly sliced cucumber, and bleu cheese.

I love this meal because it's different each time so it never gets boring - plus, it's so quick to pull together! If you're in a bind for a quick meal or you just want to try something new, check this out... 101 Simple Meals that are ready in 10 minutes or less. I'm not sure I completely buy the "10 minutes or less" part so if you try any of these, let me know how they turn out... and, I'd love to hear if you have any of your own tried and tested, quick and healthy meals.

3 comments:

  1. Yes! Grilled chicken salad! I love those, too. I often "roast" a chicken in the crockpot and we eat on it for several days - one day of pasta, one day of sandwiches and inevitably one day of salads.

    I love to put some toasted pecans in mine (healthy oils!) and maybe top it with evoo and balsamic vinegar or a bit of fat-free raspberry dressing. YUMMO.

    Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i couldn't cook my way out of a paper bag, but you inspire me to want to try. i think I just need you to come down and go grocery shopping with me- i don't even know what types of things I need to have on hand to be able to "throw something together"! I am however really good at dialing for take out!

    Happy Harry Potter weekend! I am going to the bookstore right after my sister's rehearsal dinner to pick up two copies- one for her to pack to take on her honeymoon and one for me to read tonight when i should be sleeping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we often make tomato sauce with meat and freeze it in smaller portions - it just doesn't last as long, you know? And I do in fact freeze applesauce ... my grandmother canned fruits (i.e. peaches) but my mom doesn't care for it that way so we freeze all our fruit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you!

I do my best to post responses back on your own blog but if your question is applicable to everyone, I'll leave you a response here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails