Friday, February 27, 2009

Can You Stand It?

I think tuna fish is one of those things - and I mean that in the nicest way possible. You either like it or you hate it. And if you like it, there are an infinite number of ways to prepare it. If you hate it... then I guess I just lost you.

In this house, when we make it (let's pretend that's not at least once a week), just about the only constant is that the tuna is always made into one sandwich (usually open-faced with whatever cheese is laying around broiled on top) and one salad.

The rest... well, that's completely 100% up to our refrigerator and cupboard. And to be honest, those two have left quite a bit to be desired this past week or so. Here's where things start to look up, though - chances are if you land squarely in the "I like tuna fish" camp, you probably like it no matter how it's prepared.

This week - our two cans of tuna were prepared with just over a TBSP of mayo, tiny diced carrots and onion, most of one thin-sliced green onion, about 2 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese, 1 1/2 tsp of garlic powder, and salt & pepper. It was admittedly a little dry as I am always trying to use less and less mayo, but thankfully Chris will eat just about anything on a piece of toast and since calling this healthy gives me the right to indulge in dessert (and honestly, I haven't found a preparation of tuna fish that I didn't like), I dig in with no looking back also.

Even with that positive PR, I'm always on the lookout for new preparation ideas... or, if you're in the "no tuna fish, never, not gonna happen" group, what is your 'tuna'?

By the way, the left-over tuna fish was just perfect on these onion-flavored butter crackers - but yeah, not nearly as healthy. Especially given the fact that after the tuna fish ran out, I just ate the sleeve of crackers unadorned. Oh well.

*And darn if I didn't realize how obvious that bag of Ghirardelli bittersweet chips would be in the background. At least I was mid-baking (and not snacking) but so much for a healthy and inexpensive eating post!

2 comments:

  1. I DO like tuna fish, but I have never made it at home. I have a very bad habit of getting Whole Foods' tuna-fish salad with cranberries and a box of crackers. Holy cow do I love that stuff.

    I should go the frugal route and try it at home! I love the idea of putting in parmesan...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I love tuna!! The husband however, falls in the "not-so-much" category. I'm trying to figure out if I can sneak a tuna casserole by him...I've been really craving one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you!

I do my best to post responses back on your own blog but if your question is applicable to everyone, I'll leave you a response here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails