Monday, February 09, 2009

Not Photogenic

Both this post and I are feeling a bit under the weather (not that that is in anyway relevant to being able to take pictures) but I would have been remiss to not post these delicious recipes that we've enjoyed recently.

As you will soon see (if it wasn't already obvious enough), I've been on a stew/soup kick lately... which was slightly thwarted by the warm weather we've enjoyed these past few days (I am not complaining that this is a distant memory) but even with the weather at a mild mid-50s, I am already looking forward to making (and eating!) these two recipes again.

Beef Soup (serves 6)
adapted from All Recipes


1 lb cubed beef stew meat
Cooking spray
2 tsp Emeril's essence
1/2 c water
2 cans beef broth
1 can vegetable broth

1/2 c merlot (or any red wine)
1 onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
handful of baby carrots, halved if desired

3-4 small red potatoes, quartered
1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, green beans and peas)

1. Cut beef into bite sized pieces and season with essence; in a dutch oven coated with cooking spray, brown beef on all sides. Add water and scrape up any browned bits; then add 2 cans of beef stock, 1 can of vegetable stock, and red wine along with the onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender.

2. Add carrots and potatoes and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Add the frozen vegetables and stir; cook for another 15-20 minutes to ensure the veggies are cooked thoroughly.


*I stopped at this point for more of a beef and veggie soup than stew (and I liked it this way - the starch in the potatoes add a little thickness); however, after some feedback from Chris, I will most likely thicken this just a little with a small amount of cornstarch mixed with cold water and then quickly mixed into the soup


Slow-Cooker Chicken and Dumplings

adapted from All Recipes

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

2 TBSP unsalted butter
2 (10.75 oz) cans condensed cream of chicken soup (I always use the Healthy Recipe version)
1 onion, finely diced
2 cans chicken stock
1 c frozen mixed veggies (do you see a trend here... thank you Costco)
1 (10 oz) pkg refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces

1. Place the chicken, butter, soup, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough chicken stock to cover.

2. Cover, and cook for 7 to 8 hours on low. About 1 hour before serving, mix in frozen veggies and place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker, pushing down into the liquid. Finish cooking for about 45 minutes on high until the dough is no longer raw in the center.


OKAY, I lied, I do have a picture (or two) for you... straight from the Westminister Dog Show.

**note: put a black and tan face on that dog and this is Annabelle post-bath

2 comments:

  1. Yum. And let me just tell you that we often have poor man's chicken 'n dumplings because Brad loves them so. A can of chicken broth and a can of biscuits, cut up. He inhales it. I have a feeling my son is going to like it one day, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND ... aren't you proud of me for posting it on time?!

    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you!

I do my best to post responses back on your own blog but if your question is applicable to everyone, I'll leave you a response here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails